How Low Calcium Levels Affect Your BodyHow Low Calcium Levels Affect Your Body https://communityclinicalrx.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/CCRX-How-Low-Calcium-Levels-Affect-Your-Body-July-1-2021-1-1024x576.png 1024 576 Community Clinical Pharmacy Community Clinical Pharmacy https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/e5859a5ea81a26a35dbca0f20faaa25d?s=96&d=mm&r=g
- Community Clinical Pharmacy
- no comments
Don’t Be Complacent With Your Calcium Levels
The most abundant mineral in the body is calcium. Calcium is required for the building and maintenance of healthy bones and teeth, plays important roles in blood clotting, muscle function, and blood pressure. It also supports proper nerve function and colon health. It is estimated that 42% of Americans aren’t getting the recommended amount of dietary calcium.
Looking through the drugstore shelves or an online search yields hundreds, if not thousands of calcium-containing OTC products.
Although low calcium doesn’t present with signs, it can lead to “silent” conditions such as osteoporosis or high blood pressure. In addition, an excessively low level of calcium can trigger a variety of symptoms such as:
- Tooth decay and gum disease
- Abnormal heart rhythm
- Brain fog and memory loss
- Dry skin
- Muscle cramps and spasms
- Numbness and tingling in extremities
- Premenstrual syndrome
- Weak, brittle nails
Causes of Low Calcium Levels
- Certain medications can contribute to calcium deficiency. Examples include anti-seizure medications (e.g., phenobarbital), glucocorticoids (e.g., prednisone), and proton pump inhibitors (e.g., Omeprazole) that reduce the absorption of calcium.
- Low vitamin D levels or abnormal parathyroid hormone (PTH) levels can cause calcium deficiency, even if you consume enough calcium.
- Gastroenteritis or chronic inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis affect calcium absorption.
- Healthy kidneys play an important role in regulating calcium. Less calcium is retained in the body by diseased kidneys.
- Estrogen plays an important role in calcium absorption by increasing blood levels of vitamin D. At menopause, the drop in estrogen levels can increase the risk of osteoporosis in women.
- Pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) is sometimes accompanied by a calcium deficiency.
A severe low calcium level after menopause can increase a dangerous type of fat called visceral fat. This fat surrounds your liver, stomach, and intestine. Visceral fat can increase the risk of problems such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and obesity.
Always ensure that you get your calcium levels in check and take a look at the causes that you may be suffering from.
If you would like to know more about your calcium levels as well as options for addressing low calcium levels, contact Community Clinical today.
Do You Need a Referral to a Prescriber?
Here to Help
If you have any questions or would like to learn more about your options when it comes to compounding or hormone replacement, please call Community Clinical Pharmacy and we can consult with you and your physician to find the best solution.
We serve the East Valley Metro Area including Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, and surrounding areas.
Assisting You With Customized Needs at Community Clinical Pharmacy
Community Clinical Pharmacy has been solving problems for Arizona patients for decades. We’re here to provide patients and medical providers with only the highest quality medications and compounding services. Our team is more than happy to help in treatment options for very specific conditions.
Get in touch with us, whether you’re a patient or a provider.
DO YOU LIKE THIS ARTICLE?
Sign up to receive updates on new health tips & tricks, advances in medicine, and special offers from Community Clinical Pharmacy.
Community Clinical PharmacyAll stories by: Community Clinical Pharmacy
You might also like
Stress: Determining the Signs and Tips for Addressing ItStress: Determining the Signs and Tips for Addressing It https://communityclinicalrx.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Signs-of-Stress_CCRX-September-Blog-1_featured-image-1024x536.png 1024 536 Community Clinical Pharmacy Community Clinical Pharmacy https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/e5859a5ea81a26a35dbca0f20faaa25d?s=96&d=mm&r=g
How Calcium Deficiency Affects Your BonesHow Calcium Deficiency Affects Your Bones https://communityclinicalrx.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/CCRX-featuredimage-july-2-2021-1024x576.jpg 1024 576 Community Clinical Pharmacy Community Clinical Pharmacy https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/e5859a5ea81a26a35dbca0f20faaa25d?s=96&d=mm&r=g
Female Sexual Arousal & Orgasmic Disorder – Compounded Cream TreatmentsFemale Sexual Arousal & Orgasmic Disorder – Compounded Cream Treatments https://communityclinicalrx.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/CCRx_Featured-Image-Compounded-Cream-Treatments-1024x538.jpg 1024 538 Community Clinical Pharmacy Community Clinical Pharmacy https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/e5859a5ea81a26a35dbca0f20faaa25d?s=96&d=mm&r=g