Medicine Safety: Considering Medication Around ChildrenMedicine Safety: Considering Medication Around Children https://communityclinicalrx.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/CCRx_Featured-Image-medicine-1024x538.jpg 1024 538 Community Clinical Pharmacy Community Clinical Pharmacy https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/e5859a5ea81a26a35dbca0f20faaa25d?s=96&d=mm&r=g
- Community Clinical Pharmacy
- no comments
Guidelines for Responsible Medicine Management and Avoiding Accidental Consumption
When it comes to kids, consuming even a small amount of the wrong medicine or chemical can be super dangerous and even deadly. Most adults pay attention to keeping cleaning supplies and chemicals out of children’s reach. But some other products can trick a child into thinking they are sweet drinks, candy, or food. Examples include gummy vitamins, edible forms of marijuana, and cough and cold syrups.
Here are some reminders to protect others, especially children from accidental consumption:
- Kids like to copy adults. Avoid taking medication in front of children
- Don’t say that medicine tastes like candy
- Don’t call medicine candy
- Don’t leave your next dose of medicine on the table or counter where children can reach it
- When people are visiting or staying with you, ask them not to leave their medicines where children can find them (purse, pocket, unlocked suitcase)
- Keep your medication in the original child-resistant container
- Keep cleaning solutions and chemicals in the original container so they won’t be confused for drinks
- Don’t leave children alone with medicines of any kind. A child can get the medicine in a blink of an eye and swallow it without you even knowing it
- Dispose of medicine patches properly. Fold them with the sticky sides together
- Throw away medicines you no longer need. Ask your pharmacist for the best way to get rid of them
- Put away medicines immediately after taking them. Child-resistant containers might slow children down, but they can still be opened
- Keep medicines and chemicals in a locked or safe place where children cannot see or reach. This includes nitroglycerin cream, menthol rubs, natural supplements, vitamins, essential oils, etc.
What to Do if a Poisoning Happens
- Stay calm
- Don’t give the person anything to treat the poisoning or make them throw up
- Call 911 if the person has passed out, is not breathing, has a hard time breathing, or has a seizure
- If the person is awake, call your poison center
- Stay on the phone and do what the emergency operator or poison center tells you
- Always follow the instructions from your healthcare provider and seek professional medical help when needed
- In the U.S., the number for the poison center is 800-222-1222. Keep this number beside all your telephones and in your cell phones
Curbside Pickup and Delivery
With the current global health crisis still in full effect, Community Clinical offers curbside pickup and local delivery from our Mesa clinic. We are also open for patients to come into the store as needed. Please wear a mask when coming in to speak with pharmacists or browse products. Call us at 480-969-0600 for more information.
Do You Need a Prescriber Referral?
As the East Valley’s trusted hormone & compounding experts, we are happy to provide referrals to prescribers that specialize in dermatology and other treatments for specific conditions.
Please provide your information and we will connect you with the best providers our community has to offer.
About Our Expert Consultant
Hormone specialist and pharmacist, Sharzad Green received her Pharm.D. degree from the University of Arizona in 1990 and has had the privilege of serving patients and providers across Arizona since then. The focus of her practice changed in the late 1990s after her mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. She began to learn more about integrative medicine and has offered her services in the following areas for the past 21 years:
- Menopause, PMS, PCOS, and Andropause, using bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT)
- Sexual dysfunction
- Adrenal fatigue syndrome
- Nutritional supplementation
“I believe in building a trusting relationship with other healthcare providers and helping their patients achieve optimal health.”
Feel free to contact Dr. Green through (480) 969-0600 or reach her online if you have any questions or if you or your physician would like to meet. We look forward getting you the relief you need with the right treatment. Medication is not one-size-fits-all.
When in doubt, contact one of our knowledgeable pharmacists at Community Clinical Pharmacy. We are here to offer you solutions and assist you in making informed decisions about your health. Contact us with comments, questions, or pharmacy related topics you’d like to know more about. And, as always, stay healthy!
DO YOU LIKE THIS ARTICLE?
Sign up to receive updates on new health tips & tricks, advances in medicine, and special offers from Community Clinical Pharmacy.
- Posted In:
- General Health
Community Clinical PharmacyAll stories by: Community Clinical Pharmacy
You might also like
Medicine for Kids: What You Need to KnowMedicine for Kids: What You Need to Know https://communityclinicalrx.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/kids-medicine-information-1024x536.png 1024 536 Community Clinical Pharmacy Community Clinical Pharmacy https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/e5859a5ea81a26a35dbca0f20faaa25d?s=96&d=mm&r=g
Compounding Pharmacy Near Me: Community Clinical Pharmacy – Serving Arizona’s East ValleyCompounding Pharmacy Near Me: Community Clinical Pharmacy – Serving Arizona’s East Valley https://communityclinicalrx.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Featured-Image-phoenix-mesa-chandler-tempe-gilbert-compounding-pharmacy-1024x536.png 1024 536 Community Clinical Pharmacy Community Clinical Pharmacy https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/e5859a5ea81a26a35dbca0f20faaa25d?s=96&d=mm&r=g
Surviving the Blues During & After the HolidaysSurviving the Blues During & After the Holidays https://communityclinicalrx.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/holiday-blues-2021-1024x536.png 1024 536 Community Clinical Pharmacy Community Clinical Pharmacy https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/e5859a5ea81a26a35dbca0f20faaa25d?s=96&d=mm&r=g